miércoles, mayo 12, 2010

A Day In The Life of Steve King - Tracks Manager of Godolphin

The adage, "life begins at 40", carries more than a little weight in the case of Godolphin's all-weather tracks manager, Steve King.Steve, 47, spent the first 23 years of his working life in the employment of Marshalls Motor Group in his home town of Cambridge, before a surprising career shift took him to Godolphin seven and a half years ago.After more than two decades in the motor trade, initially as an apprentice auto electrician and then - once his administrative skills had been realised - as workshop manager, Steve had his 40th birthday and started looking for a new direction when a friend jocularly suggested a radical alternative.He explained: "I was looking for a new challenge and a friend of mine suggested a groundsman job in Newmarket."It seemed so different to what I was doing that my friend mentioned it in jest. Laughing, he said, ‘I know you're at the stage in life when you want a career change, well Godolphin need a groundsman'. He was a bit dumbfounded when I actually showed a real interest."Steve is clearly happy with his decision to join the Godolphin team and speaks about his work with enthusiastic pride.Having worked his way up from groundsman, he is now in charge of maintaining the all-weather training tracks and walkways at Godolphin Stables and Moulton Paddocks in Newmarket.

"My priority is to make sure that the all-weather tracks here are the best in the world. That is what Godolphin wants and that is what I try to achieve," explained Steve.Steve also credits the efforts of his team by adding: ‘My work is greatly achieved by the all-weather tracks team around me and their willingness to help me achieve the standards required.’His working day commences at 4am when he and his team of five check the gallops, ensuring that they are in good condition, and making certain that the walking areas to and from the tracks are clear and ready for the horses. The process takes about two hours."It is important to see how the surfaces have been affected by the weather overnight," Steve revealed. "Once the horses go out, it is a case of maintaining the gallops between each lot and I oversee that."We will have jobs like repairing broken rails and anything else that the training staff call us to address. That will take until mid-morning."I talk to the trainer and his assistants on a regular basis to make sure that they are happy with the tracks."Once the stables finish their morning sessions, we go in to maintain the horse-walking areas, training rings and trotting rings. The gallops will be checked and repairs will be done to anything that could not be done during morning stables."We are governed to a large degree by horse movements and do a lot of tasks when the horses are not around."At about 1.30pm or 2pm, my team finish for the day but I usually stay on for another couple of hours to do general management duties in the office. I have day-to-day paperwork to deal with and general office chores."There is never any time to stand around. There is always something to do like repairing machinery, so we're normally flat out from the word go."Steve enjoys the atmosphere at Godolphin and cherishes his job working around some of the best equine athletes anywhere. His personal favourite is the dual World Champion Fantastic Light."I had been here a couple of months when Fantastic Light won one of his Group One races. The buzz and elation around me was amazing and being part of that made me feel great."Steve had not worked in racing prior to taking up the Godolphin position. His only equine experience came as a youngster riding his uncle's ponies, but a move from nearby Cambridge to Newmarket 13 years ago brought the sport sharply into his focus."Before I took the job, I would go racing occasionally, but the sport soon seeps into your blood when you live in this town. There is an added interest because I want Godolphin runners to do well. I love the feeling that comes from seeing our horses win."Steve took up golf three years ago and occasionally finds time to work on his swing but football remains his favourite hobby and he is proud of the fact that he was able to play the game alongside his three sons.He said: "I enjoy football, although I'm at an age when my mind still says I can play but my legs don't agree. I could maybe still do it now but I don't like the aches and pains."Perhaps the adage does have some limits.

No hay comentarios: